Wednesday 23 April 2014

Skype Saves the Day


It turns out that Proverbs 15:22 is right in saying, "Plans fail for lack of counsel." Even though I wanted to practice cello over spring break, I found it very daunting to figure things out by myself and there was nobody holding me accountable to my plans.  
 
So, I finally decided it was time to connect with a project mentor. My cousin, a cellist of six years, agreed to teach me the fundamentals. The only problem is... she lives in Illinois! However, Skype is a beautiful thing and we have planned to have a few lessons over the internet.

The first lesson was last week after school. Kristiana (my cousin) gave me lots of tips and instructions that helped solidify what I had seen on tutorials. I realized that there is only so much you can learn from a video, eventually you need someone to answer your questions and talk you through it. Here are a few things she taught me:
- My arms should be positioned like I'm giving the cello a bear hug. Elbows out, but shoulders relaxed. 
- Fingers are numbered 1-4 starting from the pointer (not the thumb like in piano). 
- The Star Trek hand sign is key! Finger 1 and 2 are close together, then a larger space between 2 and 3, and 3 and 4 are close again in the left hand position.
- The left hand thumb should never be tight on the neck of the cello (this is a hard one to learn)
- Only play with the first quarter of the bow at the beginning.
- Pencil is good for marking left hand finger positions because it easily wipes off of the fingerboard with a cloth.
 
Kristiana also taught me the finger positions to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star! She showed me how to write down these positions by first writing the finger number (or O for open) and then the string name. For example OA, or 4D.
 
The best part of the lesson was when Kristiana performed one of her songs for me. My aunt accompanied her on piano and it was beautiful! She had played it for an audition for a scholarship to summer camp, and despite not being given the scholarship she was still proud of the piece and happy to share it with me. She's a great example for me of someone who has excelled in their instrument because of the time and effort she has put into it. 





1 comment:

  1. What an exciting opportunity, Naomi! YouTube can be a very valuable resource, but it can't replicate the experience you had with your mentor. You were able to connect and interact in a personal way and receive instruction and encouragement tailored for you. You were even gifted with a personal concert! Thank you for clearly articulating and demonstrating the importance of a mentor and the relational value of technology.

    ReplyDelete